Speaking a foreign language allows one to connect with others around the world using the power of words. According to Babble Magazine, only 20% of the world’s population speaks English, and that includes native speakers and those who learned English as a second language. This means that those who only speak English are isolated from the remaining 80% of the population.

 

“There is way much more out there- outside of Iowa, outside of the United States even,” explains Spanish teacher Colin O’Brien, one of the five language teachers.

 

Language classes are an elective class here at Prairie and students do not need any language credit to graduate. Although, many students take German or Spanish due to the fact that many colleges require two to four years of foreign language in order to go to their school.

 

“Learning a new language is hard because it requires you to start completely from scratch and varies in grammar and conjugation and the tenses,” admits German 1 student Cassie Pasker.

 

Many students struggle with foreign language due to the sheer complexity that is learning a new language. Students find themselves intimidated because language is a lot different than other subjects in school because it’s something that a lot of people consider out of their comfort zones. But, nobody can deny that the crazy staff of world language teachers makes the journey a lot easier.

 

“I don’t want to be that teacher that who’s correcting every little thing you do because then you become afraid,” states O’Brien. O’Brien explains how speaking a world language allows him to grow as a person.

 

“I love that I get to take on a different personality,” says O’Brien, “It’s that chance to be a little bit different and be okay with it.”

 

O’Brien explains that the goal of world language is to be able to communicate and understand people of different cultures.      

 

“When you know another language,” explains O’Brien,“ it literally tears down these barriers between people.”

Advertisements

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s